I. PERSONAL SIN CURSES
- Zechariah’s Vision of the Flying Scroll – Zechariah 5:1-4
- The Flying Scroll represented the sovereignty of God’s Word over the land
- The curse is released when God’s Word is sinned against
- Stealing and swearing falsely are the representative sins that brought about curses on the house of the thief and anyone who would swear falsely.
- The curses will consume the households of those who sin against God’s Word (assuming there was no repentance)
- “Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand.” (Genesis 4:11)
- “I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse.” (Genesis 12:3)
- “Will anyone rob God? Yet you are robbing me! But you say, ‘How are we robbing you?’ In the tithes and offerings! You are cursed with a curse, for you are robbing me – the whole nation of you!” (Malachi 3:8-9)
II. GENERATIONAL OR ANCESTRAL CURSES
- “The Lord is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.” (Numbers 14:18 – also – Exodus 20:5; 34:7; and 1 Samuel 2:30-33)
- “Therefore I bring charges against you again, declares the Lord. and I will bring charges against your children’s children. (Jeremiah 2:9)
- “May his blood fall upon the head of Joab and upon all his father’s house! May Joab’s house never be without someone who has a running sore or leprosy or who leans on a crutch or who falls by the sword or who lacks food.” (2 Samuel 3:29)
- “If you do not listen, and if you do not set your heart to honor my name, says the Lord Almighty, I will send a curse upon you and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have already cursed them, because you have not set your heart to honor me. Because of you I will rebuke your descendants. (Malachi 2:2-3)
Generational or Ancestral curses are similar to the curse of original sin, only they have a temporal effect rather than eternal.