IS SPIRITUAL WARFARE BIBLICAL?
(Thirty plus years ago God put Don Rogers in my life. He trained and mentored me in spiritual ministry. When he was no longer able to minister, I had the privilege of taking over his “Spiritual Warfare Ministries”. He had written many articles about spiritual warfare. I have edited and added to his work for this blog.)
Is Spiritual Warfare a valid Biblical concept?
The apostle Paul believed that our struggle is against spiritual forces of wickedness. He wrote to the Ephesians (Eph 6:12) “For our struggle is not against enemies of flesh and blood, but against rulers, against authorities, against cosmic powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.”
“For we wanted to come to you- certainly I, Paul, did, again and again – but Satan stopped us.” (1 Thess. 2:18)
Paul’s perspective concerning this spiritual battle was remarkable.
- He knew where the real battle had to be fought. On the spiritual level
- But he never became paranoid about our spiritual enemy whose very nature keeps us from seeing him directly.
- Paul recognized the enemy’s presence through spiritual discernment given to him by the Holy Spirit. He was able to detect the enemy’s activity in the circumstances he encountered.
- Paul was also able to draw upon his source of strength and protection from a close relationship and walk with his Lord. No circumstance or enemy intimidated him.
Was Paul the only one who recognized Satan as a threat to the believer? No! there were others who believed that Satan posed a serious threat to believers.
- Jesus believed it! – (Mt. 6:13) – And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one. (John 17:15) My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.
- James believed it! – (James 4:7) Submit yourselves then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
- Peter believed it! – (Acts 5:3) – Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?”
- (1 Peter 5:8-9) – be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, sanding firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.
- John believed it! – (Rev. 13:7) – he was given power to make war against the saints and to conquer them. And he was given authority over every tribe, people, language and nation.
If the Word of God is true, then we must take this spiritual warfare seriously
SPIRITUAL WARFARE MARRIAGE RETREAT Every year I lead a marriage retreat in the Lancaster, PA, area. This year the topic will be “Winning The Battle for Your Family” and will be about spiritual warfare for individuals, married couples and families with children. If this sounds interesting to you we’d love to have you join us. You can find more information at https://www.christiantrainingonline.org/our-ministries/family/marriage-retreat/ or email me at email@example.com. We have a limited number of hotel rooms so let me know if you are interested.
© Copyright 1994 Spiritual Warfare Ministries, Inc., © 2013 Christian Training Organization. https://www.christiantrainingonline.org/