THE “ONE FLESH” BOND (by Don Rogers)
“Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, ‘The two will become one flesh.’ ” 1 Corinthians 6:16
Imagine becoming one flesh with someone through sin and that person is already in bondage. Because you are now “one flesh” you are vulnerable to sharing in the bondage of that person. We see the result of this continually. God permits it to happen. When a believer continues in sexual sin, this is a definite act of rebellion in order to gratify self sexually and emotionally.
Proverbs 5:22 – “The evil deeds of a wicked man ensnare him; the cords of his sin hold him fast.”
That “one flesh” bond is like a cord holding the person fast in a bondage that was formed through sin. This is why there is so much difficulty breaking free from these relationships. The cords of sin hold them in place. There is bondage. Only true repentance will enable a person to get free.
Unfortunately, there are “one flesh” bonds put into place through rape, incest and molestation.
No wonder the effects of these terrible experiences do not ever seem to let go. There is more than psychological damage affecting the person. There is also a spiritual hold that compounds the psychological problems. There is a bondage in place.
All this does not seem fair and it isn’t. Warfare is seldom fair. There are a lot of victims. But our God is a deliverer, who can break such bondages, heal us and restore us and turn the bad to good.
“Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body.” (1 Corinthians 6:18)
The Apostle Paul gave us hope concerning besetting sins like the sexual sins we have been discussing. He gives us principles in Romans 6 that can help us achieve victory if we apply them to our lives.
- The Fact – (Romans 6:6) Christ has made it possible for us not to be slaves to sin. He gave His life that we might have victory.
- The Faith Principle (Romans 6:11) We have to decide we are going to die to the sin and begin counting ourselves dead to it from this moment on no matter what temptation comes along. It can be done in faith.
- The Obedience Principle (Romans 6:13) Stop offering the parts of your body to the sin, as instruments of wickedness!! Get rid of the pornography, don’t visit porno sites, stop looking at people’s bodies and look at their faces and see them as people whom God loves.
- The Promise – (Romans 6:14) If you will follow the above principles, sin shall not be your master. This is a promise from God’s word which is there to be claimed.
- The Warning – (Romans 6:16) Your choices determine whom you are going to serve. Go and sin no more. The Lord will give you the grace and strength to claim victory. He is not going to twist your arm. You have to begin taking responsibility for your life and the lives you are affecting because of your sin.
I know these principles work because we have seen them work for those with whom we work.
Pray for your heart to be truly repentant of your sexual sins and confess your sexual sins to the Lord and then renounce them once and for all. Covenant with the Lord, in faith, to walk in the new life He has given you and die to the old life.